Author Topic: HOW BAD IS THE 3.0  (Read 2860 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: HOW BAD IS THE 3.0
« on: May 22, 2006, 05:13:55 PM »
The 3.0 is alright for stock applications but for what we like to do ,it just can't take the abuse.I rebuilt mine in my 89 4runner.I'll never do that again!!!In my 94 ext cab,I went smallblock.For the price of a headgasket job you can get a brand new 350 imo.

I beg to differ :yupyup:  I've hammered all of my motors pretty hard, and while two of the three have gone out, they've never left me stranded.  When the piston rings went on my second motor, I still drove it around for about 2 mos. before I put in the new motor, and I went through the 'con with it. All of the wheelin I have done has been with no crawler, and IFS, so My motors get beat to hell and back. 

the 3.0 may not be the best motor out there but i can definitly hold it own on the trail. i'm not really shure how much the motor has inproved over the 88 because all of my buddys have 90 and up toyotas.

The motor hasn't changed a bit :thumbs:  I've had a 91 motor in my truck, an 89 and an 88.  They're essentially the same, the 88 actually pulls the best :dunno:

Totally agree, if it wasn't for that headgasket issue Toyota would of had another winner just like the 22r's.

:thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent