Author Topic: 85' pickup Rock-crawler, mudder, and DD  (Read 6101 times)

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re:85' pickup Rock-crawler, mudder, and DD
« on: Feb 18, 2004, 10:45:30 PM »
Dang youre planning on spending a chunk arent ya?  That sounds like a pretty good list of mods.  Whether or not your fenders will survive all depends on how seriously you plan on crawling.  Id stick with a interior cage considering you are using it as a DD.  On the suspension deal I like to use Junkyard stuff (I work at one!)  but aor makes some killer stuff!  I would get stainless lines for your brakes and crossover steering!  A dropped draglink will NOT have enough travel for the type of suspension you are talking about.  I have a BL on my 84 its not too bad there isnt a lot of stuff you need to worry about just take all the rubber covers out of your wheelwells so you can see if anything is getting stretched. Like fuel lines, brake lines etc.  the transfer case setup will be the easiest thing to do according to your list.  What gears you use will depend on the tire size you choose.  On the driveline issue Id do the cases at the same time as the lift so that everything matches.  You can get away with the stock drivelines with just the lift but you will be pulling your front one apart a lot!  just dont get too extreme and it should be fine.  Im not so sure about the detroitin the front it seems that everytime someone busts a birf they kill a detroit.  The lockrite in the rear Im not so sure about either.  If I was doing it Id spool the rear and put a l/c high pinion e-locker in the front, but thats just me.
Good luck on whatever you decide to do and lets see some pics of progress!
WT
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??