Author Topic: **Pics Added**-Engine died, can't get any trouble codes  (Read 4159 times)

scott.475

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re:Engine died, can't get any trouble codes
« on: Jan 31, 2004, 01:04:25 PM »
Okay guys, got it figured out. It was my mass air flow valve. Like someone else here said a few weeks ago, I am more surious than I am smart, which led to the problem.

A couple weeks ago I changed my air filter. I got curious about where my Mass Airflow Sensor was, and started probing around. As you look at the air flow valve from the top, the wiring harness plugs into a terminal that is held in place by two screws. Like an idiot, I tried pulling it out to see what it was. ***WARNING: DO NOT DO THIS!*** I immediately realized my error. Three of the leads had wires connected to them, all the others had nothing. Thinking that they just pushed into place, I replaced the terminal. Little did I know that I had broken the solder points on all the rest of the leads.

So, this morning, figuring the last thing I worked on is probably what is causing the trouble, I tested the valve. The ohm measurement was way below spec. I pulled the cover off (the black thing on top, squared on one side, round on the other) and saw the destruction I had caused. Anyway, I was able to get  everything soldered back in place and put it back into the truck. Turned the key to the on position and saw the engine light come one. It started with no trouble at all. I let it run for an hour, and it did fine, so I think the problem is solved.