Author Topic: dead as a door nail.  (Read 2343 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: dead as a door nail.
« on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:32:41 PM »
:wave:

You won't be able to find the fuse itself, as a fuseable link is a fused wire, meaning that beneath the insulation there is a fuse within the wire. Once the fuse melts and "opens" there is no way to replace or reset the fuse, you just replace the whole wire.

Check at the Engine Compartment Fuse Box that sits next to the Battery, and look for the ONLY Hot Wire that goes from the Battery to the Fuse Box. I believe it is a 12 or 14 gauge wire, so its pretty big. The Wire should divedown and enter the fuse box from the bottom. It is a White wire with a black or gray sock covering it. I have also see blue fuseable links, but not as often as white ones.

To test the fuseable link, you can use an ohms meter to check for continuity on one side of the wire (at the + battery post) and to the other side. Take to top cover off of the fuse box like you normally would to check for blown fuses, and there will be a couple large fuses with a clear plastic cover above them. I don't know for sure, but maybe one 80A and one 50A. The Fuseable link wire runs into the fuse box and splits into both of these main or "primary" fuses. So if you can pop off one of those clear plastic covers, then you could put a probe down onto the metal fuse to check for continuity on that end of the circuit.

If you have infinite ohms (no continuity) then that fuseable link is blown and must be either replaced or bypassed to get your friend (your truck) back in action.

I have never replaced a fuseable link wire, but I know how it is connected, and it can be a PITA to replace it. Just be patient and you can get it done. Its more time consuming then difficult. You will need to disconnect the battery, unbolt the fuse box, flip it over, carefully remove the bottom cover trying not to break any of the plastic clips, and then you will be able to get into the fuse box. Follow the Fuseable link wire, and it should be bolted down to a flat metal bridge piece via a 8 or 10mm bolt. But I think you have to drop both the 80A and 50A fuses out the bottom to get in there, so look around for some more bolts needed to remove these two larger fuses (these large primary fuses do not pull out the top like a normal fuse, but instead are unbolted and removed internally from the bottom).

*Hopefully* your problem is something as simple as this fuseable link. It would sure save time by not having to run around looking for a problem else where.

GET ER DONE :_order:
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki