Author Topic: crossmember/skidplate  (Read 3312 times)

gedean

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -198
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Re: crossmember/skidplate
« on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:32:48 AM »
I've got the All Pro Triple X-Member.  The idea is good (essentially just a rip off of a FROR idea) and the price is awesome.  300 bucks for a crossmember + integrated driveshaft parking brake.  The design of the x-member will pretty much ensure that you will never bust a motor mount.  You can tell an increase in the vibrations transmitted into the cab but it's not much to worry about.  You can also custom mount it up even higher (though you will have to redo your driveshaft tunnel, and some work to the frame crossmember.  Eric at www.yotamasters.com did this.  I had yotamasters put in mine, along with a dual ultimate from Marlin.  I have had one major problem with it though.  The bracket that mounts the parking brake was not made correctly.  The bracket was angled in such a manner that it allowed the caliper to put a small amount of pressure onto the disk.  Not enough to be noticeable when driving, but enough that it heated up the disk at the rear of the t-case.  Cruising down the freeway at 70 mph was enough that the heat transfered to the rear seal on the T-case and caused it to leak.  Yotamasters took care of it though.  Not only did they fix the seal, fight with All-Pro to get the parts fix the x-member and fix the parking brake they did it all for free, without complaint, and whenever I had the time to come in.  The unit works fine now, thanks mostly to Jay and Eric at Yota Masters not All Pro.  All Pro took almost a month to give up a new caliper, (they wouldn't part with a whole new x-member), so Jay King worked the mount over and got it right.  The funniest part is that All Pro tried to blame them, rather than their defective part.  All in all it is a great price for a copy of a great idea.  Had the part been correct, or quickly fixed by the manufacturer I'd have had no qualms about recommending the triple x-member, as it is I have no qualms about recommending Yota Masters.
2000 Tacoma 3.4 V6, 5 speed, 4.88 gears, E-locker rear, 255/85R16 BFG MT, Lefty with Marlin Dual Cases and 4.7 gears topped off by a triple stick.