Author Topic: Question about schooling  (Read 6769 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Question about schooling
« on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:19:44 PM »
Just for reference, I have an engineering degree similar to what BigMike is currently heading for.  In my family it was always understood that my sister and I would finish college and my parents were willing to sacrafice to make it happen.  I was very blessed and am indeed thankful.

In general my advise is to maximize your education as soon as possible.  I know a lot of people that take "breaks" from school and never start again.

If your education level, whatever level, allows you to be employable over the long term doing something that you want to do, then you are finished.  For example, Blackdog, as a firefighter, will have the opportunity for a career and that is the key.

A lack of education can really limit you in the future, but it is not a garuntee.  I have a friend that is constantly looking for a job because there is no stability in "unskilled" labor.  It is up to you to determine how longterm your current plan is.
If you got into Mechanical engineering or possibly became a machinist, you could likely be more involved in your chosen field.

Don't set yourself up for future problems by giving up your education to have an excellent job now only to find out later that the market wasn't stable and the only thing that you can make money out (are good at) no longer provides a decent income.

Do you understand what I'm saying?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved