Author Topic: Question about schooling  (Read 6758 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Question about schooling
« on: Dec 28, 2005, 11:40:28 PM »
The first two replies missed the point. Jeff is wondering if he should just settle for the GED instead of a Diploma.

Look, you are young, staying in school another 1 or 2 years doesnt mean jack compared to the next 60 years of life.

Look at me, I am already 25 years old and I am just becoming a Junior in College. I mean, I got my HS Diploma back in 1999 for crying out loud. I should be a doctor by now! My friends always tease me by saying that I am a Doctor who is only getting a 4 year degree.

I have not graduated because #1 I am lazy and I dont do my homework like I should #2 I changed my major three times.

But when I look back on my life from HS, I realize that if I had just gone straight to a University and done the 4-year program, I could already have my Engineering Degree right now and I would be starting my 2nd year at my new job somewhere, I am sure making at least 60k a year.

I would KILL to have these 5 years back. 5 Years to me back then was like a drop in the bucket. But right now 5 years means a lot to me.

Dang dude, just stay in school, then go to college, do night classes if you have to, do your best because you live in California and you can get a butt-load of finicial aid if you keep your grades up in College, and then before you know it, you will be 25 years old and you will finally be starting your life.

My goal right now is to start my life when I am 28. I should be finished by then.
Right now I am still a student and I have not done anything with my life, if you think about the big picture of it.
So I figure that I have lost 3 years to those students who actually tried to get good grades, and it makes me sick every time I think about it. I should already have my own house and a new car now.

For you, dont try to start your life out when you are 19 or 20, even if your friends are making 15 or even 20 dollars an hour.

20 dollars an hour is only like 33 or 34k a year. WOW. IS THAT ALL?
See man, 20 an hour sounds like a dream job to you right now, right? You could build a buggy, and have a daily driver too. But you wouldnt have your own HOUSE with much free time. And then you will work hard for the next 5 years and still be in some apartment, and for me, when I make more money, I seem to just buy more stuff, and then I have more bills I have to pay, and its like I am the same as I was before I made that extra money.

There must be some line that we cross over where we can put extra money away even though we are still fulfilling our hobbies and free time activities. I dont know at what point that is for me. I know that $20/hour sure as hell aint enough for me to build a truck, rebuild my MR2, buy new clothes, buy a new house, have some new shoes and some nice sun glasses, and still take strange women out to resturants and blow $200 a night "just because".

But thats what school can get ya man, just surf it out. By the time you are 25 you can be making 35+ an hour AND doing what you like to do with your free time and money.

:twocents: from a young punk,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki