Author Topic: Gettin the Ole' Lady a Promise ring... any ideas?  (Read 5927 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Gettin the Ole' Lady a Promise ring... any ideas?
« on: Dec 21, 2005, 05:44:42 PM »
no no no, you guys have it all wrong. Where's the romance??

Go out and rent Harrison Ford's worst movie, Sabrina, and you will learn a sweet way.

I did it to Misato and it worked really well  :greengrin:

What I did was I went out and bought a ring. Then I went to a store and bought a spool of string, I think I used pink string because that's her favorite color. Then, on the big day, I had worked up quite a plan.

I did some research and found out that we have a few restaurants in town which are at least $30 a plate per person :yikes: So I took her there and I treated her like royalty. I must have blown $75 at this amazing Italian restaurant named "Max". While we were there, I pulled out a present that was wrapped in red, and she opened it to reveal a really nice set of perfumes that were pretty expensive and I had known that she wanted them.

This was our 1 year anniversary, and I really built her up to this gift. I wanted it to seem like that was what I felt one year was worth. ? You know what I'm saying? I tried to sell the point that this was such an amazing present and how, combined with the meal, I was certain she could see how I had dished out a good $250 on this evening. I think we did something afterwards also, like we got some desert at Cold Stone Creamery or something...

...what ever it was, I was acting so happy and that this was what I came to offer her.

Then, when we got back to her place, you know, and little bit of this and a little bit of that hahahaha and when it was almost time for me to leave and head home, I pull out this really small present, of course, a square shape and looks like it must be from a jewelry shop.

So she is like WHAT?! NO WAY! And she opens it up, and she is in total awe because we had already done so much, and she unwraps it and slowly opens it up, and, and, and,...... She pulls out some string. Now she is really confused. And at this point, I take the string and I pull out a poem that I had written for her.

Now during this whole evening, before it even began, when I got dressed at home, I put her ring into my right pocket. I was so nervous about it because a couple of times I had to pull my car keys out and I was worried the ring would drop out. But it was ok, and when we got back to her place, I made sure to pull my car keys out and leave them with my shoes at the door. And when she was taking the wrapping off of the ring box, I knew she would only be concentrating on that, so I carefully reached into my right pocket and pulled out the ring and kept it in my right hand.

So after she opened it up and found the string, I started reading the poem, and with the ring in the palm of my hand, I slowly took her hand and tied one end of the string around her ring finger and slowly unraveled the string. I stood up and right as I was finishing the poem, I slipped the ring onto the string, and let it go.

Now, hahaha Now, in the movie, the ring went right down the string and right onto her finger. But I couldn't play up to Mr Ford. He's just too dang good lol When I did it, I didnt think about the slack in the line, and the ring stopped about 2 inches short of her ring finger and it just dangled there.

I was SUPER EMBARRASSED and pretty upset because the whole evening was a complete success until the very last thing.
But you know, she really remembers it and she loves how I tired to do it but didn't make it. She says that made it even better!  :disturbed:

So it was definitely a good evening :thumbs:

And the cool thing was that I had planned to spend about $400 on her ring. So I spent two months between buying stuff for my MR2 and saving extra money for our anniversary, and I finally had saved enough money. And this is when I learned about credit. Yes, I am new to the credit world and in fact I do not even have a credit card. But I was expecting to blow 4-bills on the ring, and then I would only be able to go to an average resturant and that would be the whole evening.
But I think I paied just $50 for the ring as the first payment, so I had a good $350 in my pocket, so thats how I could afford the perfume and the expensive resturant.

Man, everything just worked out so well that time, now the problem is that I'll have to upstage that for next year hahahaha

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki