Author Topic: Retirement: 401k to IRA rollover ?'s  (Read 3270 times)

11 Bravo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement: 401k to IRA rollover ?'s
« on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:34:31 AM »
Well, with my job switching, I will need to roll my previous 401k into an IRA. Anyone have any advice as to what companies have good IRA plans?

Who was the broker that had your 401K? All the 401K plans I have seen are through an employer, but are administered by a broker like Merrill Lynch or Prudential Financial or somebody like that. A good place to start is to call that broker and see what they advise. There are lots of tax laws that need to be complied with. There are laws about mixing different kinds of funds and stuff I don't understand. They will be familiar with your current fund and can give you good advise.

The first time I left a job where I had 401K money, Merrill Lynch was the broker that was handling it. I talked to them and they rolled the money into an account with pretty much the same funds I was already invested in and continued to manage the funds for me.

About 7 years later I changed jobs again and had 401K money to move. This time the fund had been managed by Prudential Financial services. I decided I would just roll that money over into the account I already had with Merrill Lynch.  I called my broker at Merrill Lynch who handles my account and got lined out about how to move the money. I had to call Prudential and get some papers sent out so I could sing them and that was it.

The company I work for now has a 401K too, so I have that account and I have my personal IRA at Merrill Lynch. It worked out pretty simple. Merrill Lynch has always been pretty easy to deal with, the statements are easy to understand and the fund has made me very good money.
I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.