Author Topic: Anyone in Sac/Nor-Cal area do a 22RE conversion before?  (Read 2383 times)

sloyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 251
  • Male Posts: 818
  • Member since Mar '05
  • 1/4TiLTKrawlers.Petaluma,Ca. 707-766-9592
    • View Profile
Well, i'm not the Most knowledgeable guy on here, by a long shot, but i have done extensive modifications/ re-building of everything on a 80's Toy 'cept the transmission, so here's my advice.

I don't think you can just drop a 22RE fuel-injected motor into a 82 Toy cause the wiring harness is alot different. You're not gonna have anywhere to plug in your injectors, sensors, etc. If you have the donor vehicle handy (the one the 22RE came out of, you can completly remove the wiring harness, by no means an easy task, and replace the one in the 82 with it. DO NOT unplug anything before you label both sides of each connection, and put labels on various parts of the wiring harness...ie. "to steering wheel" and "pass side above heater core"...like that, cause when it's all removed and lying there tangled up on the garage floor, one section looks much like the other. Use those little paper tags with the loop of string on them, you can pick them up in the office section of Wall-Mart, like the ones you might see on used auto parts on a shelf. Doesn't really matter what you write on them, just don't use the same thing twice and remember to put two labeled the same on each connection, i.e. "1" on the female side of injector number 1, and "1" on the male connector that plugs into injector number 1.

If you decide to save yourself the trouble of doing all that prep work first, you won't have a clue as to what plugs into what when you get ready to re-install it. This is the voice of experience talking here, my friend. I've done this before.

If you've got the bucks $$, i'd forgoe all that :bull crap: and just get an EFI complete or partial wiring harness from Painless or LC Engineering. That will allow you to just drop the motor in, plug in all the connectors, and fire it right up. But because it really is that easy, it costs big time. But that IS the way i'd go if i were you.

It'd be really nice if you could just drop the motor in and plug the old wiring harness into it, but they did'nt even have fuel-injection that year in Toy's and so no EFI computer, no injector plugs, no O2 sensor...you see the problem.

There might be a way to separate the EFI part of the donor-vehicle wiring harness from the rest and just wire That in, but i don't think so. Again, Much easier in the long run just to spend the $$ and get an aftermarket system tailor-made for just what you are doing.

Hope this helps, Oddmar

good point
I'm not responsable for my own action's.