Author Topic: 3rd Gen Tacoma on 35's take on the Rubicon?  (Read 1564 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: 3rd Gen Tacoma on 35's take on the Rubicon?
« on: Jun 21, 2023, 06:36:55 PM »
Hi Andres,

In both vehicles, 1986 long bed and my 1985 short bed, I ran off-road tires.

It didn’t take long to figure out what the wear pattern was for each tire brand and size.

I frequently experimented with tire pressures.

I learned that I could run my street pressure down comfortably and with acceptable wear on the tread designs.  The trucks were modified for 4-wheeling so they road stiff on the street and both were also my daily drivers.

With all the different off-road tires I ran, there was uneven wear on the tread – more on the front tires.  It didn’t matter what tire pressure I ran.  I rotated my tires every 5,000 miles to even the wear on the front and the rear tires.

The street ride comfort between 35 PSI and 25 PSI on 33’s was VERY noticeable.

In all my wheeling days, I NEVER once blew a tire on a trail or on the highway.  And to this day I have only experienced one time with having a tire go flat while driving – that was
in 1972 in my 1967 Corvette – I ran over a piece of metal at night.

Here in AZ in the summer the asphalt can easily get to 170 to 190d F.  So, tire air pressure can become a serious issue running down the freeway at 70 MPH.  Thermodynamically, higher tire pressure absorbs more heat from the tread contact with the asphalt.  Too much heat and the tire can delaminate, blow apart, and cause a serious accident. 

Regarding getting together for a trail run, I’m retired from any serious 4-wheeling. I miss those days. During the “peak” season, I did a trail run nearly every weekend for many years.  And at least once a month in the “off-season”.

On your CO2 tank, mount it very securely when wheeling – very important. Compressed CO2 is very cold (-110d F), when you air up your tires, by the 4th tire the CO2 regulator will start to freeze up and restrict the flow to the hose.  I wrapped a rag around the regulator to help reduce it from freezing up.

I am looking forward to more great photos of your wheeling adventures. :gap:

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein