Author Topic: 98 SASed TOYOTA 4RUNNER.  (Read 6451 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: 98 SASed TOYOTA 4RUNNER.
« on: Oct 25, 2021, 03:24:18 AM »
Hey busmup808…

That’s a nice wheeler!

Overlanding….  That brings back lots of memories.

My first couple years in Arizona I went exploring almost every weekend.  I had a blast!!  I had limited experience at that time.

I prepped with topo maps, showed my wife on the map that I left with her where I was going and when I should be back.  If I was not back by a certain time, she would call the authorities.  I also located the nearest medical center or hospital in the area I would be traveling.

I put together a good “overlanding kit”, with tools and some spare parts in Action Packers when I went out solo.  My Mark IV Model 70 was always in the seat next to me.

I was careful, knowing that I was out where there was no cellular telephone service, and my CB radio with a 50 watt kicker may not get out very well in the canyons I was in.

I first time I got turned around coming back of a canyon - on the next trip out I carried two spray cans of fluorescent orange paint. As I entered a canyon trail, I’d open my door and lean out and spray the ground.  On my way back out I could spot the fluorescent paint and knew where I was. Also, I figured if I got stuck or injured badly, I could spray my white truck on the roof, or side if I was on it, to give the air search guys a better chance of finding me.

Now… looking back I see where I could have been smarter.  First, I’d have a medical approved snake bite kit in my first aid kit. I once encountered a big Diamondback and got out of my truck to snap a photo. He headed right at me in a rush, and I darn near pooped my pants!!  Luckily, he was headed for his den in a mesquite bush, and not me.

I’d have a lightweight well-equipped go-bag for each person in the truck that could pack one.  I’d make sure I had extra all necessary medications.

You can go without food for 10 or 15 days, here in the desert in the summer you could be in serious trouble without water in about 2 or 3 days. I’d carry extra drinking water and have a high quality portable water purifier.

I’d would have a winch, snatch strap, and 100 feet of rope.

After rolling over twice - once requiring me being medi-vac’d in a helicopter and the 22-minute flight to a Scottsdale hospital was $15,000.

As much as I dislike roll cages, if I were to start trail crawling, or overlanding, again my truck would have an inside expertly installed roll cage before ever engaging the t-case.

I’d carry a 22” aluminum CO2 tank and a small solar generator to recharge a cell phone if my engine was dead.

If I were to be traveling outside of my home State of Arizona, I’d make sure I knew the firearm laws and reciprocity laws for the State(s) I’d be driving in.

Sorry for the novel, but I’ve seen too many accidents and unprepared travelers out in the great outdoors.

Be prepared.

Gnarls. :usa:
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2021, 03:30:51 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein