Author Topic: Toyota Chinook Build!! Mach 2.  (Read 175083 times)

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota Chinook Build!! Mach 2.
« Reply #750 on: Aug 12, 2021, 05:01:08 PM »
Hey 4x…

I always admire those that are keeping these old classics alive.

I didn’t find the timing issue. What is the issue?

Regarding swaps, for my Toyota pickups, I’ve done a hundred in my head over the years.  I always hesitate and believe there’s a lot more to a successfully completed swap with no ongoing complications than what is often described in these forums… just my limited experience.  Yes, there are some very happy swappers out there.

If it were me, I’d keep the 22RE engine and if the mileage is high and it gets tired, buy a quality long block or do a full rebuild if you have the skills and tools. You can get a nice boost in power with a header & exhaust and a reputable well-known high flow head and a good torquey cam.

All 3 of my early Toyotas – 2 1986 22RE and 1 1985 22R – did not have the cruise power to blast up steep grades or give me the option of doing a quick passing action on the flat. I just accepted that it’s a truck and not Supra and I’m used to shifting down keeping the RPMs up to 4,000 and getting over the grade a little slower than Big Mike’s Taco passing me on my left.

The key to optimizing a comfortable cruising speed, is getting the peak engine torque at the MPH you want to cruise at. I want my peak torque to be around 3,000 RPMs because my highway MPH is between 70 and 75.  Ring & pinions and tires, of course, can be a factor in gearing.

On your tach needle – make sure it is not rubbing on the backing plate and I’d use a drop of silicone spray on the shaft.

As you know, eliminating any excess weight can make a noticeable difference.  I see you have a bar bumper on the front.  When I bought my current 1986 it had one of those, I removed it immediately and was surprised how much it weighs.

That’s a nice rig and enjoy reading and seeing your ongoing project.

Gnarls. :usa:
Thanks so much for the feed back.

I'll do a drop of silicone spray down the shafts for the tach.

Id like to keep the bull bar up front. I kept off the original 1977 chinook truck so a momento and I like the stout protection ive needed from it already, plus its a nice place to hop on for a quick seat.

I most definitely will be shedding weight however with the next interior build . (Coming soon) . This 4th floor plan, current, was actually built entirely out of scrap wood scavenged from dumpsters! And pieces of red oak from a near by sawmill. . Basically what im saying is its by far the most dense and heaviest build to date.
So this upcoming 5th floor plan will be much lighter. With the weight factor in mind. Along with weight placement and distribution.

And I appreciate what you're saying bout the 22re / motor swap decision. 

I do love my 4 banger. I actually got the long block off a gentleman who had been following this forum from way back when i 1st started.
He shipped it too me. And we've yet to never meet. But I've appreciated him helping out at the time , and never forgot it.

I guess I just wonder a 4.3 from say maybe a 2000 blazer will perform better with comparable MPG, and better torque/hp. To my 22re which really works to move the chinook.

I'm tipping the scales just over 5000 lbs right now. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Toyota + rv camper; you'll never need another car, you'll never need another home. = perfect