Author Topic: 91 Toyota 22re Valve Question  (Read 6351 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,263
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: 91 Toyota 22re Valve Question
« on: Jul 29, 2019, 07:45:32 PM »
I have read through posts here and the yota forum for fyi. I have a 91 22re pickup, just did a complete rebuild and everything is brand new except block and intake manifold. I followed the factory recommendations from my Chilton's manual on correct valve lash. It states to bring engine to operating temp and adjust intake at .008 and exhaust at .012. I have correctly adjusted it and everything was completed to spec. It is noisy, and I know solid lift engines make a little noise but this is almost diesel sounding lol. Would you guys recommend adjusting cold at 7 11? Or 6 10. Thanks in advance

I always have lots of questions when I read posts like this.

It’s like you expect the readers to come up with some magic simple answer to your simple question.

There are a number of sounds that the 22s make.  Some sounds are obvious and their source can be isolated.  Some sounds can fool you because they sound similar.  Are you sure the noise is caused by valve lash?

Trying determine “noise” from a textual post in an internet forum is like sniffing flowers through your butt.

What is “It is noisy, and I know solid lift engines make a little noise but this is almost diesel sounding lol.”

Did YOU rebuild this engine?

What are the specs of the rebuild?

What camshaft was installed?

How many times have you adjusted the valve lash on a 22RE?

Did you adjust the valve lash on this engine before you rebuilt it?

There are 1000’s of posts on “valve lash”…. Some of them are useless.

Here’s a clip from 22RE Performance.  Jim probably wrote this and, in my opinion, probably knows more about the 22RE engine than most anyone on this planet.

“Check the valve adjustment and keep an eye out for any that are too tight. We recommend checking valve adjustment every 7.5k to 10k miles. I know the manual says to adjust them with the engine “hot”, but we’ve found the adjustment procedure to give more consistent results and turn out more accurate when done COLD. Cold means that you can’t feel any heat when you lay your hand on the engine. We also recommend going a hair tighter than the factory says too. .007” on the intake and .011” on the exhaust side. If it’s your first time adjusting valves, TAKE YOUR TIME AND TRIPLE CHECK YOUR WORK. It’s not rocket surgery, but if it’s not done correctly, things can get ugly quick.”

Can you explain exactly HOW you adjusted the lash?

A valid answer to your question requires more information.  Otherwise, at least for me, I may be pulling stuff out of my anal sphincter.  A fairly common thread started like this goes on for about a 1 week or 2 with umpteen posts before some sort of conclusion is found.

If you have a real concern about “noise”, this is a very handy inexpensive tool that will help locate the source.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52750-Stethoscope-Kit/dp/B0015DLMOO/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1EPW3UFANNKML&keywords=engine+stethoscope&qid=1564453109&s=gateway&sprefix=engine+steth%2Caps%2C528&sr=8-2

Getting a 22R or 22RE engine to a “balanced” rocker and valve lash sound can take some time, multiple attempts, and practiced measurements.

Of course that's just my opinion - it may be full of pomp 'n stink.  :gap:

Gnarls.  :blah:

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2019, 08:04:35 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein