Author Topic: 20R carb vacuum diagram for an 80 - CA and Canada  (Read 8894 times)

jmac80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 184
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
Re: 20R carb vacuum diagram for an 80 - CA and Canada
« on: Mar 28, 2018, 12:54:34 PM »
What is the GPM flow through that gas filter?
Gnarls.

That hissing sound is interesting though. Not sure what would be causing it.

Thanks for chiming in fellas and taking the time to put up the fuel pump replacement steps.  I agree with you on the accelerator pump, I don't think it can pull on the inlet.....I think it would just barely pick up remnants of gas out of the nearly empty bowl and that was enough to make it run.  The bowl is nearly empty as I can't see level in sight glass (nice and clean/clear after rebuilding) and can see bottom of bowl being wet with gas but not full of gas when viewing from top with flashlight and opening choke and butterfly.  I think the hissing sound was the release of vacuum being built up between the filter and the pump.

Got home late yesterday and couldn't get the old clamps to fit over hose/metal barb area with filter installed.  I bought some regular hose clamps at lunch today and will clamp hoses and reassess pump this afternoon.  I will also try to listen for leak with vacuum and check out the the diagrams and linkages.  My vote is on a leak somewhere as if it was linkage it should have died when adjusting the air/fule mix screw.....which didn't phase it, 2400rpm at running temp with choke wide open and butterflies closed.  I'm also doubting a crimped line as it went from running to not without doing anything to it but will confirm.  Let me gas going back up there to the SOB, and we can go from there.

Gnarls-   GPM?.....no freaking clue, guess it depends how hard you suck on it.  No but really, it says for carb application on the back of the label and is very easy to blow through.  Its not for a high pressure system even though it's metal.
1980 long bed; 20R; L52; 3" OME; 30-spline Marfields; Marlin high steer; PS; AC