Author Topic: 20R carb vacuum diagram for an 80 - CA and Canada  (Read 8892 times)

fireitup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
Re: 20R carb vacuum diagram for an 80 - CA and Canada
« on: Mar 28, 2018, 10:26:46 AM »
Check out https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/ and type in your vehicle info.  Select "Fuel, Exhaust and Emissions" as the category and all the 20R Carb Assembly Diagrams will be displayed.  They have vacuum hose diagrams as well. You can save off the image files for reference.

You are fine to replace the fuel filter with an inline one.  I started using this one https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-9706-Universal-Clearview/dp/B00068OR8M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1522255881&sr=8-5&keywords=inline+fuel+filter a while back and it works great.  Also nice to see the fuel flow through the clear housing.

So, aside from that something else has come up after truck sitting for few weeks.  Now, I'm not getting fuel to carb.  I should be able to pull the fuel inlet from the carb and turn on key and have fuel come out right?  Will the fuel pump run continuously with no back pressure from carb when key is on w/out truck running?

If the pump is working and you do that it will spray fuel all over the place.  I don't recommend it.  You should be able to monitor the float bowl level through the sight glass on the front of the carb to tell if you are getting fuel in there.

Also, I recently had some issues with my fuel pump and ended up replacing it. Before you do that though i'd double check that you don't have a kinked/clogged hose somewhere.  Disconnect the fuel inlet hose that goes from the filter to the fuel pump and use a vacuum pump + brake bleeder catch attachment to see if you can draw fuel up to that point.  If you can, reconnect the hose and see if the pump starts working properly.  If it is still not getting fuel into the carb then replace the pump.

.....and finally, still having the high rpm issue.  I made it run by pouring gas in the top of the carb.  What seals the bottom of the carb and the head to that plastic plate that separates them?  I'm thinking a I may be sucking air in there, but didn't have a gasket in my kit or during removal.

I don't think I have a gasket in between the carb and the plastic insulator on my 22R carb.

I just had a similar issue when getting a new replacement carb up and running (http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=102904.0).  What i think fixed my issue:
1) Lubricating the fast idle linkage on the back of the carb and ensuring all the cams actuated properly. (assuming your 20R carb has this mess)
2) Possibly E-Choke was not being powered properly.  (I do not think the 20R Carb has this so probably irrelevant)

If there are any vacuum controlled idle up features on the 20R carb then get familiar with them. Make sure everything is doing what it is supposed to do both when the engine is cold and hot.

*edit* Also make sure your AC is not on.  If the compressor is on it will cause the fast idle stuff to kick in.
82 Pickup - 22R : OME NitroChargers/Springs : Timing Chain @ 180K