Author Topic: 1983: Reagan, The Police, Return of the Jedi, Hobie Cats & this Toyota truck.  (Read 13121 times)

toy_tek

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 25
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Instagram: toy_tek
Have the engine apart down to the just the short block now.  Everything looks surprisingly great, except for I'm pretty sure the reason it won't turn is some corrosion in the #2 cylinder wall.  Piston is near the top, i think the rings are binding on the rust on the wall.  I'll likely remove the crank & pistons in the next few days.  Got a machine shop recommendation here in Phoenix from a trusted source, called, and first contact went well so I'll likely be dropping the block & head off there whenever the shop schedule permits. 

I found a rusty ball bearing about 1/2" diameter sitting in the head... any idea what that is from? It just fell out when tipped the head on its side.  Pretty sure it isn't supposed to be in there... but then I've never worked on a complete 3RZ so what do I know?

I wasn't going to do a balance shaft delete... but now that I pulled them out (and I can't believe how little wear I'm seeing on everything) I think I might not re-install.  I know about the LCE kit.  $100 seems a bit steep for what it is, but just for the reduced complexity I might spring for it.  Did any of you guys drive the 3rz for awhile before you deleted the shafts... and how much vibration increase is it?  That's my only concern... this truck won't be relegated to trail rig duty.

Based on the ECU part number, I believe this engine is from a 1999 tacoma 4x4 manual.  Or at least thats what the ECU pn corresponds to.  Haven't really looked at the nest of wires too closely yet, want to get this block sorted out first.

My original thought process for a 3RZ swap was to get it installed as pulled from the donor , use the OBD2 port and have everything be tip-top Toyota perfect regarding emissions for the donor engine year.  Now with this piece together engine route I'm thinking I might see about bare-bones basic electrical & emissions (use the OBD2 port but not worry about emissions codes).  For registration, I can go one of 2 routes in AZ: pass the 1983 emissions standard (snif test) or do the classic insurance and bypass emissions altogether.  I would prefer the former as I'm not trying to negatively impact the environment any more than needed, and so I have a few questions regarding what is bare minimum... for evap, egr, etc.   Anyone have any pointers or links on that?  I'll be reading on this specifically as I move forward.

This swap will take it's sweet time for now... the 22r is still purring along... the w56 still needs to make its way to me from my buddy's house in Columbus Ohio... and I'm sure I have a bunch of parts to procure that I'm not even thinking about at this point. 

Preliminary list of stuff I know I need:
  • Power steering pump
  • Power steering bracket
  • A/C compressor bracket
  • Chillkat mounts (or maybe I'll fab up some mounts)
  • Fuse box
If you have any of this and want to part with it... shoot me a PM please. 

Hope I'm not going against the normal forum etiquette, but I figure I'll just continue updating this thread rather than start a "build" thread.  Half of the reason is so I have something to refer back to in 5 months or 5 years when I can't recall stuff I did.  Can't tell you how many times I've referred back to Yotatech for my 4runner stuff over the past 15 years. You old(er) dudes know what I mean.
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner
89 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62
IG:  toy_tek