Author Topic: 22r carb sputters and stumbles (low rpm's)  (Read 14888 times)

pleasetellmeno

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 507
  • Member since Sep '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: 22r carb sputters and stumbles (low rpm's)
« on: Jul 16, 2017, 02:08:49 PM »
Wow, i forgot to check back for a few days. Thanks for the response.  the BVSV for the AAP is a good sugestion, i'll have to look at the fsm for testing procedure on that one.

Fuel cut solenoid has been ruled out. ive hot wired it, tested for a click on the solenoid, and even just plugged the hole with a stubby bolt. the only change i can get from testing that is when the solenoid is closed, the engine will not run on idle. sort of the opposite of my problem.

float level i have played with but not entirely ruled out. i will continue to adjust it.

fuel filter has been changed out a few times, i would love to find one with a clear housing so i can see if it's dirty. im just blindly swapping out the frosted white filters.

fuel pump has also come across as a possible fault. but in testing the pump pushes a lot of gasoline out while the engine is running and can fill a water bottle before the carb runs out of fuel, also I smell excess fuel when having the problem which leads me to believe it is running fat. can't tell if it has ever been changed, you have any reccomendations on a replacement? would the LCE pump be a good option?

Vac leaks have been ruled out. i replaced all vacuum hoses, and compared my setup to multiple diagrams for my year and california emmisions stuff. tested with brake clean sprayed around all the vacuum hoses.

Would love to get my hands on an aisin carb. just hard to come by. im in central cali, suprisingly not a lot of these toyotas around here.

I know weber makes a smog legal carb, but it's quite expensive. not a move i'm looking to make at the moment. certainly an option if it gets to that point.

Edit: I forgot to mention, i took the truck out on a short little rock garden trail we have in town, problem still persists even with the fuel regulator at about 4psi, but i'm convinced that it has gotten a little better. i'm going to try and drop the pressure down a bit more. i dont have a guage on the system, so i'm kind of just blindly adjusting it.