Author Topic: Aisin Carburetor Rebuild  (Read 7520 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,261
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Aisin Carburetor Rebuild
« on: Jun 14, 2017, 03:51:11 AM »
...Now, if anyone can answer my question, that'd be sweet. If I didn't do anything performance oriented, and basically only cleaned the bowl and blew out passages (and de-gummed the slow jet), why do I have so much more power? At most I added a little more fuel to the bowl, only 1mm of adjustment.

Hey 300k,

Congratulations on a job well done!

I’m glad you got your hands dirty and tackled that little scary monster.

Thank you for the nice write up.

Well, I believe you already know the answer to your question.  If just cleaning it and rebuilding it does what it did, then it should be obvious that it is a very “sensitive” part of the engine’s performance.  We know that AFR is extremely important to an engine’s performance.  The very smallest changes in AFR can have very significant changes to power output.  H8PVMNT has been describing very very small changes in his carb that produce very big changes in throttle response, power, fuel consumption, and cold starts.

Judging from the history of carburetor designs, technology evolution, and the huge volumes of books and discussions on carburetor tuning and modifications, it may be THE most important component on an engine that can have the most profound affect on performance.

Disassembling and rebuilding a carb the first time can be a little intimidating because of the little parts and pieces and required very precise measurements, but once you do it, it doesn’t seem so scary.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein