Author Topic: YACR: Yet Another Carb Rebuild  (Read 7735 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,261
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: YACR: Yet Another Carb Rebuild
« on: May 25, 2017, 06:43:06 PM »
UPDATE 4-25-17:

My new-to-me carb arrived in the mail today. Here what I've seen on a first glance and casual go-over.

The good:
 - All the parts seem to be there. This is in contrast to my current carb, which is definitely NOT complete.
 - It looks as if it's been rebuilt recently, so I may not need a rebuild kit when I take things off to look.
 - The choke acts a lot more functional than mine.

The bad:
 - The fast-idle cam and cam linkage is present but non-functional; This is because the spring that engages it needed one more turn before it went back on.
 - The secondary air valve is different than my current carb -- it only closes completely when the throttle linkage is moved to simulate gas pedal pump. It never opens completely, either. My current one is closed by default, but can be opened completely and will re-close with spring tension.
 - The throttle linkage is much stiffer than it should be. It turns easily enough, but takes several seconds to spring back to "closed".
 - The carb is full of old, old gasoline -- so old that it smells more like motor oil.

The ugly:
 - The acceleration pump is frozen solid -- won't budge. Fortunately, it is frozen in the position that lets the throttle operate, but this will have to be repaired somehow.

Now, as mentioned there are some things different between these two carbs. Some, I know which one is as should be, but some I do not. I think the linkage on mine that just dangles loose is part of the fast idle setup; It sure doesn't dangle loose on this one. However, some things are less clear.

The questions:
How should that secondary air valve be adjusted, anyway?
Is there any way to fix the acceleration pump?
Is oil lubricant good enough, or will this mix with the gasoline?
How much dis-assembly and re-assembly can I get away with before I have to buy a rebuild kit?

Hey Lewis,

Based on the condition of that carb, I would buy a rebuild kit and completely rebuild it.

Not to speak for him, but as you know we have a 22R carb guru right here on this forum who may be able to provide some expert advice and help.... if you need it.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein