Author Topic: Thinking about getting bigger cam??  (Read 117500 times)

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about getting bigger cam??
« Reply #240 on: May 16, 2017, 04:32:46 PM »
Hey Plainview,

As I stated, this forum and other Toyota forums has lots of my posts with data.

Since the majority of actively participating forum members are DIYers, time and money are usually two key aspects of their hobby. 

Regarding actual measurements…. There are most likely a very few number of people who actively participate in this forum or any other Toyota forum, who have rebuilt their engine, that has physically cc’d a Toyota head or even degreed a cam profile, much less flow benched their head, or had any dyno testing performed.

This is what I find surprising given how big of a following these engines have.  They are still quite popular today, closing in on 30 years since the last one was produced.  Judging by the offerings on LCE's website it appears people circle-track race with these engines.  I bet those guys know quite a bit about them, maybe I need to find a Toyota circle-track site, if such a thing exists.

It seems to me Toyota enthusiasts are a bunch of DIYers for the most part.  You read about all kinds of fabrication and cool stuff on this and other sites like Pirate and Yotatech so it's confusing to me why engine tech specs are hard to sleuth out and why people wouldn't be building engines when they're building transmissions and swapping/rebuilding differentials and transfer cases and suspensions and such.

So… much of the “information” that I read about is subjective, opinion, or simply virtual.

Nature of the web, I guess.  That's why it's important to consider the source and verify if possible.

Specific and detailed information from Toyota FSMs or other repair manuals with data and specifications, although probably available, in my experience it has not been easily sourced.  ...

Again, this is what I find strange.  If the info is in the FSM, why would it not be readily available.  As mentioned in a previous post, the only reason I don't have an FSM is because I haven't been able to find one for '84 for a reasonable price.  I'm not paying $150 for one, I can do a lot of poking around and asking questions for that kind of money, and the last one I saw on Ebay was priced there.  The later FSMs seem to be far more abundant for some reason.

Most of the specific specs and measurement data gathered from my research has been verified, and sometimes disputed, by a number of people that I would consider either expert, reputable authority, or extremely knowledgeable sources.

You ask good questions and since you appear to be interested facts, I encourage you to spend some time doing some research.  After you find some good information, go ahead and post it, I’d love to see more information.

Here's a good research question for you..... how many cc's is a factory stock 1986 22RE head chamber, and what type of chamber is it?  I'd be interested to know how long it takes you to find out, and what source(s) you used to get the "facts".  :greengrin:

Good luck. :beerchug:

Gnarls.

LOL what is this, a test for the noob?  Well, before I even looked for it I knew a few details about the 20R/22R/22RE heads.  I know that the RE heads are all basically the same from '85 'til end of production.  I'd be surprised if there weren't some revisions and differences over those years but my understanding is they're all interchangeable.  The RE uses a much smaller, shallower chamber that's more of a "kidney" shape and a flat-top piston. This configuration is much more efficient than the 20/22R big hemispherical chamber with a dome piston.  I don't know what you're asking for when you ask for chamber "type."  Lots of words get used to describe combustion chambers.  Compared to the 20/22R chambers, in the world I come from they'd be described as a "closed" chamber vs. an "open" or "hemi" chamber on the earlier heads.

A quick Googling just to prove I'm not lazy beyond redemption turned up LCE's tech page which states RE chambers are 58cc but there's a weird  reference to the RET though it doesn't state any differences between them.  I don't know much about the RETs so wondering if maybe they used the same head but a dished piston as the one thing I do know about them (other than that they had turbos) was that they had a lower compression ratio, which is typical of turbo motors.  I saw some references to the RE heads on a couple other forums as well.

Thing is, I'm not working on RE engines and while they have a superior combustion chamber design they're going to respond the same way to performance modifications as any other 22R/RE, differences in carb/FI notwithstanding.  Therefore I'm not terribly motivated to do a bunch of research to turn up a number that doesn't mean a whole lot to me.  However, if I could verify that info I'd catalog it and pass it along to anyone who asked.

Which brings up the last thing I want to type before I head out to the garage to continue to be frustrated by aftermarket parts - I'm all about the free exchange of info.  I'm happy to share anything I may have learned.  If I know something for a fact, I'll say so.  If I'm not sure, I'll try to make that clear.  If someone asks a question and I know the answer I'm happy to share.  I can't count the number of times I've posted this image on the Pontiac websites when someone asks how to identify a cylinder head:  https://flic.kr/p/UPbMKq    Ask me anything you want about Pontiac V8 engines, those are something I know something about.

Cheers!
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100651.new#new
Parts Wanted:

- Un-cracked dash pad (do they exist?)