Author Topic: Thinking about getting bigger cam??  (Read 117455 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,256
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Thinking about getting bigger cam??
« Reply #240 on: May 16, 2017, 03:55:04 AM »
The baseline would be a stock engine and the components Toyota put into it.  This would not be subjective.  It appears the problem is finding this information.

Did Toyota not publish cam specs?  Do the FSMs not have that information in them?  That would be the most authoritative resource.  The link you posted above doesn't really contain enough info on the cams, as you surely know.  No lobe centerlines, no duration @ .050", etc.  I also find it really odd that the intake and exhaust durations are reversed from carb to EFI and that the Carb cams had quite a bit more intake duration.  Is that possibly a typo?

Is it possible to still order a stock replacement cam from Toyota?  If so, then someone could measure it to find out what it really is.

Other information is also needed.  What is the (designed) combustion chamber volume of stock heads (20R, 22R, 22RE), what dome or dish volume did stock pistons have, etc.  I'd guess a lot of that is in the FSMs.

You say you entered all the parameters for the 22R head in the Engine Analyzer.  Does that mean you CC'd a port and measured it's length and diameter?  I'd think that measuring average port diameter and even port length might be difficult given the goofy 22R head design.

Big kudos to you if you've gathered all this data.  Have you published it on the web anywhere (links?).

Understand, I'm just searching for info and asking questions here in the spirit of sharing info and learning.  Cheers!

Hey Plainview,

Have you published it on the web anywhere (links?).

As I stated, this forum and other Toyota forums has lots of my posts with data.

Since the majority of actively participating forum members are DIYers, time and money are usually two key aspects of their hobby. 

Regarding actual measurements…. There are most likely a very few number of people who actively participate in this forum or any other Toyota forum, who have rebuilt their engine, that has physically cc’d a Toyota head or even degreed a cam profile, much less flow benched their head, or had any dyno testing performed.

So… much of the “information” that I read about is subjective, opinion, or simply virtual.

Specific and detailed information from Toyota FSMs or other repair manuals with data and specifications, although probably available, in my experience it has not been easily sourced.  There are thousands of posts and internet text and YouTube videos, by presumably well-meaning individuals who post misleading or totally false information.

Most of the specific specs and measurement data gathered from my research has been verified, and sometimes disputed, by a number of people that I would consider either expert, reputable authority, or extremely knowledgeable sources.

You ask good questions and since you appear to be interested facts, I encourage you to spend some time doing some research.  After you find some good information, go ahead and post it, I’d love to see more information.

Here's a good research question for you..... how many cc's is a factory stock 1986 22RE head chamber, and what type of chamber is it?  I'd be interested to know how long it takes you to find out, and what source(s) you used to get the "facts".  :greengrin:

Good luck. :beerchug:

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:07:34 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein