Author Topic: Thinking about getting bigger cam??  (Read 117445 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,256
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Thinking about getting bigger cam??
« Reply #240 on: May 14, 2017, 06:46:27 AM »
Plainview....

Excellent feedback!

Some philosophical thoughts…

Over many years of my ownership and interest in my 22s, like most of us, I’ve read thousands of posts on multiple automotive forums.  Many of those posts and threads do not get into the actual facts and real data on the points of discussion, the information posted is mostly opinion and not on any actual testing. That’s OK for an anecdotal view of what’s happening, but it always leaves questions in my minds.

1994, when I first started looking for modifications to my under-powered 22R, I started with bolt-on exhaust and bolt-in camshafts to see if I could simply to get more torque without rebuilding the engine.  I wanted to track the cost per increase in power – for my goal, more torque. 

I totaled my 1985 22R just before I was about to have some chassis dyno tests done.  Fast forward to 2006, I bought my current very low mileage 1986 22RE Xtracab. In 2013 I toasted the engine and parked it until July 2016 when I started my rebuild.  My goal for this rebuild was, again, to simply increase the torque numbers in 2500 to 3500 RPM range, where I drive the most, by spending money on what I thought was the basic engine modifications to gain that added power.  I got anxious to get it done, and did not do enough research. At this point, I realize my level of ignorance and inexperience on understanding just what facts ARE published and what is NOT published about successfully rebuilding one of these engines.

Paying someone (auto shop) to rebuild my 30 year old engine was not an option.  I know they would NOT have rebuilt it to my level of quality, and any warranty coverage for poor workmanship or defective parts is practically worthless in my opinion.

To a large part we, the DIYers, are relegated to learning from the posts here to uncover the problem and then apply a reasonable fix.

Regarding published advertising and certified test data by the suppliers… protecting the intellectual property for their performance products is normal.  However, I find it difficult to understand why if XYZ Toyota aftermarket parts suppliers publishes a statement like…

Quote:  “The Xxx Xxxxx cylinder heads are designed as a stock replacement with some mild performance upgrades. Great for any stock application or mild performance build.  The Xxx Xxxxxx heads are compatible with stock fuel injection and will give you performance gains of 18-20 HP over stock!!”  Unquote.

Has anyone every seen and can provide any actual dyno test data that backs up this claim?

If the increase is even on ½ (10 HP) of the published claims, for me it would be worth the $1,000 cost during a 22RE rebuild.

That’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein