Author Topic: Emissions fail, advice?  (Read 19942 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Emissions fail, advice?
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »
PASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSED IT!!!   :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: lots of that after work tonight, haha.
:beer:

Interestingly, HC and CO, while still very low, were three times higher than they were during the runs without the EGR working. CO2 was nice and high indicating a good mixture, not lean.
Likely caused by the additional 2 clicks in the AFM and the recirculating of exhaust gases into the intake.  Also, if you have a high flow cat, it may not get hot enough to burn the HC's and CO's under test conditions, the baffle that emsvitil posted will slow the gas flow down, allowing the cat to burn hotter. 

So, I must admit that while I was hating on emissions at the beginning of this adventure I am glad to have gone through this. My truck is running better than it ever has and I assume I fixed some vacuum leaks along the way. I have a ton of low end grunt and the idle is rock solid.

Also, a note for EGR. I do not notice any difference or loss of power in the upper rpms. I do not know why people disable this system, maybe just for some myth that EGR will rob horsepower, or that if a  system is there to help emissions it must be from big brother trying to control our lives. My butt dyno tells me it does nothing to hurt the power output, and lowering cylinder temps can ONLY be a good thing for the motor.

I think those that stripe the emission stuff, usually fall into one of two camps, "it robs HP", or "too cheap to replace it when it parts fail", the second I understand, if you don't have to pass a test every other year or so why would you spend a couple hundred on replacement parts or hours chasing down a problem.  However, what most people forget is that unlike the engines of the mid to late '60's, where smog equipment was just slapped on to meet the newly introduced emission standards, engines since then have been designed along with the emission equipment, and simply deleting the equipment without correcting for it, usually ends up having a negative effect on performance.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod