Author Topic: Ping...Ping...Ping  (Read 7574 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Ping...Ping...Ping
« on: Apr 19, 2017, 03:59:53 AM »
First make sure you get a timing light on there and mess around with your initial timing advance.  If you need to retard it a bit but it won't idle you can open up the primary a bit (idle speed screw), like one extra turn or so and it should idle better.

I recently swapped a 20r head on my 22r and was having trouble with pre-detonation on 87 octane.  I ended up finding 2 different things that helped out.  These are in the range of "micro-tuning", tiny changes that make large differences,

First I swapped to one step colder spark plugs than stock, gapped .004" less than stock gap.  I use autolite 64 normally gapped at .032", then I switched to autolite 63", gapped at .028 and no more pinging.  You wouldn't think it would make any difference but it did.

Then I was messing with my carb and ended up changing out the main jet for one a little richer.  I changed from a 116 je to a 118 jet.  Then it would run just fine with the autolite 64 plugs again on 87 octane 10% ethanol. 

You can use Hitachi jets:  http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/jets_hitachi_main_4H7.html
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K