Author Topic: 3vz to 3rz couple of questions  (Read 5609 times)

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
Re: 3vz to 3rz couple of questions
« on: Apr 04, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »
I'm in the middle of this right now (3VZ to 3RZ)...  So far this is what I have learned, that I didn't find much info on.

-The 2TR bell does work with a 3VZ version of the R150... not the 5VZ R150.  However it pushes the sifters back ~3" (put my dual case shifters in my center counsel...), and you don't really get full engagment of the input in the pilot bearing. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101408.0 <- that's my fix for it.

- Sock fuel lines from the 3VZ are on the wrong frame rail, and the tank is on the wrong side of the truck... You can run a big hose across the fire wall, but the factory lines are really close to the 3RZ down pipe... to close for me.  Most people move them, but I had a hard time figuring out where they moved them too.  I spent a crazy amount of time bending and routing and re-routing lines until I was happy.

-Computer mounting, again not much info out there.  I was able to mount the 3RZ computer in the factory 3VZ location, but upside down.  I sill need to figure out how to keep crap from falling into the connectors.  I was also able to remove the firewall grommet from my 3VZ harness and get it on the 3RZ harness... liberal amounts of WD-40 were needed, but it stretched over the connectors and went in the factory engine harness hole.

- The wiring from year to year seems to be quite different, make sure you have the correct info for your build.  I highly suggest getting the factory wiring book for both trucks, I think I paid $20ea and it has been money well spent.  With the books the wiring is very straight forward.

I originally went into this because my 3VZ had a bad head gasket and I wanted more space in the engine compartment (which is important for turbos...).  Remember you can save A LOT of time by going with a 5VZ...

PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?