Author Topic: Thinking about getting bigger cam??  (Read 117515 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,256
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Thinking about getting bigger cam??
« Reply #210 on: Nov 22, 2016, 02:59:12 AM »
Thanks 79coyotefrg and emsvitil,

Yeah, most cam makers, as well as other machine shops like Oregon and Delta, offer a custom grind.

Back in the early 2000’s I was very curious about and somewhat skeptical of the claims on the aftermarket engine products for my Toyota trucks.

I wanted to learn more about the mysterious bump stick. Any “real” test data on the camshafts offered by suppliers was very scarce or non-existent to the public.  The technical people I was able to talk to did not really want to answer all my questions about their cams.

I understand the concepts of trade secrets, intellectual property, and patents, however I also believe there are lots of marketing claims that are not substantiated.

After seeing the range of numbers and results for various cam profiles in my DD software, I decided to design my own profile using the software – looking for more torque.. My plan was to use my “customer grind” as a way to engage with the cam makers and consult with them on a technical level.  I did not necessarily believe my mock profile was any better than theirs, or that a $100 software program (even though it is highly regarded) was a magical crystal ball.

I simply wanted to know the how and why and more than…

“This cam has an offset duration between the intake
and exhaust side to create a strong low-end torque
curve while still providing good pulling power up to 5,000 RPM.”

Or ..

“Good idle, performance usage, off road, good with mild
aftermarket turbo systems, intercooler advised, aftermarket
intake/low restriction exhaust and ECM required, 9.5
to 10.75 compression ratio advised.”

And … “SOLID-Smooth torque and economy, Best cam to replace OEM grind. Very smooth idle.”

Actually seeing or reading a certified dyno test performed on a SuperFlo 902S, for example, comparing the Toyota factory stock 20R,22R, 22RE camshaft with any of the aftermarket profiles would be ideal.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein