Author Topic: Common approach to lengthening front driveshaft  (Read 31659 times)

jmac80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 184
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
Got into it last night.....didn't work out so well.  I'll at least be buying u-joints now.....

My problem was having all four caps moving around at once was too much for me to keep up with sitting on the floor in a poorly lit area using a vise that was not mounted to anything.  I did my best to keep up with everything coming apart but in the end I was 1 freaking roll pin short.  Started off 4 short and found 2 buried in grease/dirt of the joint.  Found another inside the grease path of the u-joint (inside the cross). Spent an hour combing through the grime on the floor and what was left on the parts before saying f-it and knocking the joints completely out of the yoke and shaft and giving up on salvaging them (strangely, did not loose any of those pins).  Also, I did not recover a spring from inside the CV...WTF may be buying that as well....I need to look and see if it's stuck in the grease on the shaft side of the joint.  All in all spent about 1 hour cleaning cap paths, digging out grime, removing clips, and removing zerks, 1.5 hours trying to baby out the joints for salvage, 1 hour looking for those f-ing pins (and yes, I was using a magnet), 15 minutes to knock joints out of yoke and shaft sides, and 30+ minutes cleaning up.......probably should have started before 10PM.  Pretty sleepy today at work :smack:

I did pop off the dust shield, so now just awaiting die grinder to arrive in mail for clearance step.

Should have just decided to replace joints from the get go and went at it with no mercy instead of being in zombie mode today...gonna have some money invested in this free driveshaft before it's all said and done!! :hammerhead:

What are thoughts on where to purchase u-joints?  Cheap-Os at O'reilly as they don't see a ton of use or call up the stealer get the OEM parts?
1980 long bed; 20R; L52; 3" OME; 30-spline Marfields; Marlin high steer; PS; AC