Author Topic: Common approach to lengthening front driveshaft  (Read 31663 times)

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
I work by the airport so that's right across the street......problem is I got nowhere to mount it.  No bench to work on.  I just ordered an electric die grinder to do this.  Worst comes to worst, I f-up the u-joints, add the clearance, and then have to go by new u-joints.  Getting new ones in with only c-clamps and sockets is OK.....as for getting them out in decent shape....I'm not so sure of.

OK here's a question as opposed to my jibber-jabber.....So you get the clips out and move the cap out as far as you can....dude in the link put washers on cap circumference (inside the yoke hole) and knocked it the rest of the way out.  Doesn't this ruin the grease seal on the u-joint cap?  Shouldn't you try and use pliers, vise grips to twist and pull it out the rest of the way?  Maybe I need one in front of me to see.

when I did this mod, my vice was on the garage floor, it was a few years ago, I just followed the direction in that link, just remember to get all needle bearing out of cap before installing washers, I didn't hurt the rubber seal at all.
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.