Author Topic: '84-'88 A-Pillar Rust? What's it Worth???  (Read 15809 times)

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: '84-'88 A-Pillar Rust?
« on: Jun 10, 2016, 05:47:54 PM »
Thanks for the additional info.  The owner doesn't want to believe it's coming from the inside and isn't willing to lower the price enough to make it worth my while.

Since I can't do the repair work myself I'd have to find a shop that's competent enough to do this kind of work and I can't imagine how much it would cost.  I'd guess a couple grand just for the A-pillar repairs...????

It's a shame.  The truck is really nice otherwise, only has 148K miles on it and has some cool options and accessories.  I've never seen seats like it has - they appear to have extra large bolsters and adjustable thigh supports...?  I've also not seen another solid axle with a sunroof. It's the same color combo as mine, too ("Wine" paint color - basically a burgundy/maroon color with brown interior.)  The seats, console, and rest of the interior are spotlessly clean and its totally clean under the hood.  I was really stoked when I saw the first pictures and he accepted my initial offer.  He's come down $500 but that's as far as he's willing to go.

Turns out the clutch was done only about 10,000 miles ago but that was almost 18 years ago.  The clutch should not be worn out, they don't wear from just sitting.  He says the clutch engages/disengages at the top of the pedal travel so I'm thinking the slave cylinder might be sticking and not retracting all the way which would be an easy fix.

What's a truck like this worth?  SR5 so has the good gauges/dash with those cool seats that are in great condition (no rips or tears and hardly any signs of wear), very clean interior with perfect door panels but cracked dash and disintegrating panel around the passenger side B/C pillars, sunroof, vintage brush bar with Warn 6000 lb winch which has a cover, Smittybilt nerf bars, diamondplate tool box and otherwise all original/stock with records showing all regular maintenance.  Runs good, doesn't smoke or knock.  Needs paint and other than the A-pillars the only rust is a couple small holes in the bed in the typical spots by the wheelwells.

Here's one of the pictures I saw of it first, and a pic of the interior:

'84 Xtra Cab Project:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100651.new#new
Parts Wanted:

- Un-cracked dash pad (do they exist?)