Author Topic: Beat to death, but SAS?  (Read 13779 times)

1tonCroozer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 111
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Doin' time
    • View Profile
Re: Beat to death, but SAS?
« Reply #30 on: Apr 29, 2005, 03:26:04 PM »
running a medeocre axle.

What are Toy's now considered? Ultra Beef?  ::)

Toy axle require just as much work to make hold up to anything about 37's as a D44. Although, you will always have a weaker housing (1/4 compared to 1/2") no turning radius and your ring and pinion become the weak point after those 30 spline shafts and barf's get put in. Honestly, stock D44 shafts are dirt cheap and easy to find and I can break 15 shafts and u-joints before it would even equal the cost of replacing a ring and pinion and even more if the locker got taken out (detroits are known to fail quite a bit and easily in Toy applications).

You can say all you want about the D44 not being as strong as a Toy axle (which is both stupid and ignorant to say) they are about equal with both having good and bad points.

You loose a bit of clearance with the D44.
It costs a bit more to upgrade to Chromo shafts AND CTM's. (about $200 more)
They require either narrowing or leaving full width to work in our application. (If you can do a SAS, you can narrow a axle. Plus, you really need to turn your knuckles anyway on either axle)
Shafts are easy and abundant to find...lets not forget CHEAP.

With the Toy:
You don't have the turning radius.
You have a weaker housing and more prone to bend and tweak.
Your knuckles aren't as strong as stock D44's (yes, you can upgrade them now but again, more $$)
The ring and pinions are now a failure point and I guess you could cryo them (more $$$)
Your stuck with either running spacers and or narrow offset wheels to gain any kind of width (unless you get a aftermarket housing....more $$$)
Shafts are hard to find now unless your ordering new stuff from bobby. Still not cheap.

So really, it's a MOOT point. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I went with a D44 for a few reasons but that was my choice and I'm happy. They have ups and downs either way but to say it's dumb to go with a D44 is ignorant on YOUR part. I'm not trying to start a war or anything, but do some research before you bash something you really don't know anything about. If you haven't swapped in a D44 or built one, don't run it down. It may be a better option for him. It may not. He's talking going full width soon. I would say WHY dump over 2k into ANY axle but a D60? You'll never get your money's worth out a Toy or D44.

That's just my buck and :twocents: