Author Topic: Alistair's 1982 dual cab Hilux from Australia  (Read 25869 times)

green200b

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 94
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Four doors for more whores!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Alistair's 1982 dual cab Hilux from Australia
« on: Mar 23, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
CrazyYota - have the emblems arrived yet?

redneckcustoms13 - PM me, I might be able to find you another set :)

A bit of an update, this thing has been annoying me a bit lately so I haven't done much.  :hammerhead:

The Hilux has been slowly starting to run more and more poorly. You have to be very careful under 1,800rpm as sometimes the carbie just decides to have a flat spot and it stalls. Either way, I went for a quick burn in the bush and had some fun in a bighole. Came back out and and decided to get a picture of the Hilux all nice and muddy. Here it is:

About the time I took the photo the Hilux just stalled. For the life of me I couldn't get it started again. Ended up running the battery flat and had to call a friend to tow me out. He came from a long way away so now I owe him a high lift jack :( managed to roll start it and drove it home. It died again in the driveway so it sat there for a bit. I charged up the battery and tried to start it, again it acted as though the battery was flat. So I replaced it with a battery that had moments before started the yellow Hilux and same thing! Ended up being a burnt-out starter motor.

$67 later I had a new started motor and bolted that up, and all seemed well. The Hilux had been running badly for a while and I was very sure this was down to the carbie. Luckily the yellow Hilux had the same carbie (Rochester Quadrajet) so I swapped them over. I'm not going to say it ran perfectly but it was a lot better. I went for a bit of a drive and everything seemed fine, it was much smoother and wasn't a whole lot quicker but it had a much better power delivery. Everything was fine on the road, so I decided to try a hill climb in the bush. That's when I started having issues! It stalled again and didn't want to start. I popped the bonnet and there was fuel everywhere!

Luckily my electric fuel pump is on a kill switch in the cabin, as I ended up turning it on and off to get home. I didn't need one before but it looked like it would need a fuel pressure regulator. Luckily I had one lying around so I messed around plumbing that up quickly. Went to try and start it and the starter motor started making strange noises! It looks like it isn't engaging properly. Jumped underneath and even with the bolts tight it was moving, which it wasn't doing when fitted before!

So I have ordered some bolts from eBay that are supposedly the correct starter motor bolts for a 350 Chev (I just used the ones that came in the convertible Land Cruiser above, so who knows!) and we will see if that holds it properly. I was going to take it camping this weekend as it is Easter, but I don't have much confidence it in now  :(
green200b, aka Alistair

1982 Toyota Hilux 4WD - 350 Chev, G52, 4.3s, Detroit Locker, 33x12.5 mud tyres
1981 Mazda RX-7 Sport, 12A rotary - daily
1974 Mazda RX-2, 13B rotary - cruiser
1980 Datsun 200B - first car, now hibernating