Author Topic: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread  (Read 324459 times)

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Re: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread
« Reply #660 on: Dec 04, 2015, 06:08:34 AM »
26. Check engine light not working (was not connected to the ECM, stay away from NW Team Yota if you are going to have a shop do your 3rz swap)
27. Vehicle speed sensor code being thrown (was not connected to the ECM, stay away from NW Team Yota if you are going to have a shop do your 3rz swap)

So after work I dug into my VSS code. I started by taking off my passenger kick panel. I found a rat's nest of poor workmanship and corners cut once again by the clowns at NW Team Yota. These guys are a joke and I can only hope that they go out of business before they steal more people's money.

After about an hour of sorting through the mess and trying to find the VSS wire for an early 22RE (a 1985 22RE in my case) I finally found it attached to stock yellow connector that goes to the stock ECM. It is a green wire with blue striping and red dots.

I used a jewelery screwdriver and released the pin and corresponding wire from the stock connector thinking I could just connect it to the correct connector on the 3RZ ECM. Well unfortunately the pin hole on the 3RZ connector is a smaller size.

So I found a purple wire that was connected to the 3RZ ECM, but was cut and going nowhere. So I unpinned it from the 3rz ECM and spliced it together with the VSS wire and plugged it into the proper pin hole on the 3RZ ECM (E5 plug, pin hole number 8).

I then got on the phone with liveoak and told him what I found and what I had done. He then let me know that I also needed to check to make sure those clowns hadn't neglected to connect the STP wire as well (surprise surprise they hadn't done it). This is the diagram that shows what the STP wire does:

So I found the STP wire right next to where I found the VSS wire on the same stock connector from my 22re ECM. It is a green and white wire with red dots. The problem I immediately found was that once again the wire's pin was too big for the 3rz ECM however there were no other cut wires leading to nowhere that I could steal. Luckily liveoak was on the phone with me and was able to ascertain that there were quite a few wires connected to the 3RZ ECM that were for an automatic transmission setup only and were more or less dummy wires that were not doing anything. So I stole a white and red wire from the E6 plug and repeated the process I had done with the VSS wire. The STP wire is pinned into the 21st pin hole on the E5 plug.

Finally I wanted to see why my check engine light had not been working. Turns out that they had lazily neglected to connect it to the harness also. I found the purple wire for the check engine light in another stock 22re connector that was laying unused in my rat's nest and once again unpinned a unused wire from the E6 plug on the 3RZ ECM, spliced, and plugged it into the proper pin hole on the 3RZ ECM(E5 plug, pin hole number 4).

I wish now that I would have done this in reverse order as I would have used the purple wire that I stole for splicing the VSS wire for the check engine light wire so I could have some color continuity. If I ever opt to sell this truck god help anyone who ever has to try and figure out all this   :yupyup:. I did a really quick job of this as you can tell by my taped wire splices, however I plan on cleaning this all up with proper butt connectors when I do my already planned wiring job on my Christmas break from work. In the meantime I pulled my negative battery cable for 45 minutes to reset my ECM, reconnected it and fired my truck up. Immediately I saw that my check engine light is now illuminated when the key is turned to accessory power only (was not there before) and goes off once the truck is started. The truck does appear to be driving a little better, however I think the computer will need to learn for 60-100 miles before I see the real improvement in mileage and smoothness.

A huge thanks to liveoak for the help over the last couple of days and for notifying me that I was ignoring a crucial problem. Here is the link to the 3rz ECM wiring for all the different years that I used from his build thread: http://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9E6DF8280769A7DC!215&authkey=!AEt2zbS8DiQ8fZY&ithint=file%2czip

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2015, 06:46:18 AM by SqWADoosh »