Author Topic: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread  (Read 324848 times)

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Re: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread
« Reply #420 on: Jul 05, 2015, 01:21:38 PM »
39. Install 12VoltGuy E-Locker + Winch Panel with corresponding harnesses. (Found here)

Spent the majority of my 4th of July weekend installing my 12VoltGguy panel and harnesses. The panel sits where the ashtray is.

I routed the front E-Locker and winch harnesses up through a drain bung under the passenger side seat. I then tucked the wires under the shifter trim piece.

I had to take apart the winch solenoid to tap the winch harness in. I also had to drill a hole in the aluminum.

The install went smooth except for a couple hiccups. Including me being an idiot and pulling the wires out of the front E-Locker plug. I also was continually blowing fuses when testing the winch "In" and "Out". I was pulling out my hair trying to figure it out. Turned out that I had tapped into the chassis ground wire thinking it was the "In" wire (they were both black and I was pretty damn tired by that point). The LED that illuminates when the locker engages on my rear will not illuminate. I spent a good couple hours fighting that problem thinking it was a fault in my wiring or the sensor. After eliminating both of those as potential problems using the Fluke I found out that for some reason the locker is not moving enough to activate the switch. I have a theory that this is due to me using the 7mm longer rear axle shafts. The locker is working it is just not going to light up the LED on the panel. It sucks but its not the end of the world.

On the 2nd before I left for the island to go do all the electrical, HeliPilot and I tore my front axle apart to fix my leaking front differential. Turned out that the gasket had a tear in it. Rather than screw with gaskets any more though I opted to just RTV the diff and nip it in the bud. While we were in there Nate installed a Heli-coil in my driver side knuckle where the bottom brake caliper bolt goes. It had been stripped out for some time and was being held in there by one thread and a lot of red loctite. I also installed the birfield snap rings that were missing. The job was a success and I haven't had a single drop out of the diff since. Thanks for the help Nate.  :beerchug: