Author Topic: Western WA People - Where to have spring perches replaced?  (Read 3723 times)

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks SqWADoosh - I'll definitely talk to them.

Willard - there are a few things going on there; first is that's the passenger side so that spring has less arch than the driver's side because the perch is taller due to the offset differential so the springs come as a left and right spring and the right spring has less arch.  Second, the damaged perch is taking some of the arch out of the spring, making them go negative across the perch.  Third, they are only supposed to give 2" lift.  The stock springs are basically flat (mine were so worn they were negative and had an "S" shape to them).  With these springs and the 5" shackles it lifted the front end by 4" from where it was.  I was expecting about 2.75" - 3" at most (2" spring lift + ~.75" shackle lift) so that tells you how worn the stock springs were.   I expect once the perches are replaced it will go up another 1/4" - 1/2" or so.  My truck shouldn't be any heavier than stock up front, probably even a few lbs. lighter since I removed the AIR pump and all its associated parts & plumbing as well as the EGR and all the other emissions stuff except the evap canisters.

Also, these are the heavy duty OME springs and I removed one leaf from each spring pack to soften them up.  That probably reduced the arch a little when loaded.

Should also note that actual lift over stock ride height is actually right about 3".  I lengthened the swaybar end links by 3" and the sway bar is almost flat. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:08:59 PM by Plainview »
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100651.new#new
Parts Wanted:

- Un-cracked dash pad (do they exist?)