• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: mcr
« on: May 16, 2015, 08:21:35 PM »
Next year I'll be working and won't be able to get the time off. And I haven't. But I'll look into it as it's near the area I live in

Understand the work and getting time off thing for sure.  With that in mind you need to find a group to travel with that can help make your trip a success.

If you have body protection then I'd really work towards a 4.70 t-case ahead of even lockers.  The control you get is fantastic.  The most likely thing to break on the rocks is your front axles and that results from impact loading from bouncing and hopping.  I did several weeks in Moab on the difficult trails with stock front axles but I very intentionally never went past a Detroit TrueTrac limited slip in the front until I got upgraded front axles.  As long as you have some support and are willing to use it, you can make the trip work.

As far as Nanches Pass, I was just trying to find something in common that we have both wheeled to get an idea of how difficult you thought it was in your setup.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved