Author Topic: Hi All!  (Read 1627 times)

stansama

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Hi All!
« on: May 06, 2015, 11:48:25 AM »
So I've had some bad luck with the 4runner. I apologize for not putting up pictures yet but I've been too preoccupied. The transmission locked up on me a couple times but came out of it, though with some residual scraping sounds when the clutch is engaged. I had a mechanic tell me the input shaft bearing was frozen, and was causing it to lock up (couldn't move truck, even in neutral when letting out clutch the engine would stall because nothing was moving), so I got a replacement used transmission which I originally thought was another W56 but turns out is something different. It was the only thing local I could find, so I bought it anyway along with the engine in case the transmission wouldn't mate to my engine, and had it put in. Turns out to be a 4 speed, came with a carb'd 22r, and he had to cut the floorboard ahead a little to fit the shifters. I'm fine with that for now, I might eventually get another w56 when I can really put some money into this thing and have it restored, but for now I just want to pluck away at things.

Anyway, here's the problem that faces me now. The guy who did the work accidently hit the rusty fuel line along the frame when he was taking the old transmission out, and it caused a leak. The whole line is pretty rusty, so I should really replace it. He tried to put a patch over the line but it still pours out. I've been trying to find information regarding a factory replacement, but from what I've found they don't seem to be available. Can anyone confirm this? It's a 1987 4runner DLX originally 5spd, with the removable fiberglass top. If there is a factory replacement available I'd love to buy one. If not, what size line do I need to get to make a replacement? Is 5/16ths correct? And is it possible to get new fittings or do I have to pray that I can reuse my old ones? Thanks for any advice.