Author Topic: 3RZ swap clutch woes  (Read 18337 times)

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Re: 3RZ swap clutch woes
« Reply #30 on: Mar 16, 2015, 07:20:08 AM »
I solved my issue at least. Below is from my build thread regarding what I did.

23. 4th & 5th gear are going out on transmission (remove and replace)

24. Violent shuddering when leaving first gear especially on inclines (remove and replace clutch, flywheel, clutch cover, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing - Marlin HD 1,200 lb kit)

Tackled the transmission/clutch job this weekend. Took me about 16 hours all told with a 14 hour day on Saturday and another 2 hours on Sunday. It appears my issue was in the flywheel as the pictures above show. I'd love to hear from you guys about what the likely cause was for the flywheel to look like that.

I put all the new parts in including the low mileage used transmission/transfer case I picked up a few weeks back. Everything is working however I did find some aluminum paste/metal when draining the low mileage transmission. My father in law says it is normal especially considering the mileage on it. He thinks that the guy probably never drained it and it is the original fluid and the paste and metal is likely from the synchros. I put some cheap gear oil in it for this week to kind of act as a flush. I plan on draining it this upcoming weekend and putting Red Line MT-90 in at that point. I'm not sure if its the new clutch/flywheel or the cheap fluid I've got in it right now but shifting does feel a little strange in comparison to before. It almost feels like I'm shifting through quicksand (the best analogy I can come up with). There is no problem getting into gear in any of the gears it just doesn't feel as tactile as before. I'm guessing it is due to the cheap gear oil. I guess I will find out when I drain it and put the Red Line in.  :dunno:

The main issue that prompted all this work has been resolved which has me  :willynilly:  The problem of violent shuddering when leaving 1st gear is gone!