Author Topic: noob to all this  (Read 3602 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: noob to all this
« on: Mar 25, 2014, 07:33:27 PM »
BigMike,   Wtf did I just watch lol.
Hahahahaha :spit: :spit: :spit: It sure is a lot of fun! No doubt. The low gearing is most impressive when you both climb and also drop off of something very steep.

When climbing, you can let the clutch all the way out and simply focus on tire-placement while you feel and sense the balance of the vehicle. You can feel each lug of your tires search for traction. Long past are the days of burning up clutches on the trail, bouncing all over the place and into rocks/trees.

For descending, you let the clutch all the way out and never touch your brakes. Just as you downshift into 3rd while heading down a steep highway grade, the engine compression braking effect is so drastically magnified with the Marlin Crawler, that given the correct setup even your full might of braking force with both feet on the pedal will not take any RPMs away from its closed throttle base idle. We can literally drop off of objects taller than your tire without inputting any brakes at all. The driver is in total control now. It's an entire different way to off-road.

We have these two reeaaaaaalllllllly old videos of the Crawler truck demonstrating this effect with a block of wood. Let me see if I can get them embedded here, hang on... hmmm can't get them to embed directly so I've uploaded them to my photobucket account. Hopefully they will load for you. Check out these classics, filmed with a toaster of course.

(click here if the video won't load)

Here is another video of the wood trick, and also showing the shifters of Marlin's truck. Remember, no brakes were used in either of these videos! :_order: It's purely engine-compression-braking at idle RPM.

(click here if the video won't load)

Marlin has what is called a "Triple Ultimate Overkill" which less than 1% of our customers use. Most customers have what we call a "Dual Case" setup, and fewer more hardcore customers have arguably the most versatile setup called the "Dual Ultimate", appropriately named as such in 1995 by Marlin because it's, well, pretty much the Ultimate setup :yesnod: But seriously don't worry about what any of this means right now. :beerchug: Just know that the bug has been planted into your brain and that I hope to wheel with ya on the trail someday! :beerchug:

I ended up getting stationed in japan
I am very jealous of this :yesnod: I have to ask, did you happen to pick up any of the language and culture while you were there?

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2014, 07:55:15 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki