Author Topic: Vintage "Crawler Truck" Pictures  (Read 16122 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Vintage "Crawler Truck" Pictures
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2014, 01:00:02 PM »
Yeah, pictures, memories... With all the cell phn and other compact cameras, kids growing up today are gonna have Gigabytes of digital pictures ready to embarrass them as they get older.

As for Marlin's beard, even since college he has had a beard and his wife didn't exactly like it so much. So a long time ago he made a promise to Christine that he will cut if off the day she turns 40, and that happened in 1993. So if you see a picture of Marlin with a beard, then 100% guarantee it is before 1993.

Regarding our last name, don't ask Marlin or Christine because they pronounce it wrong themselves, having discovered this myself only within the last 3 or so years. Marlin was born and raised in California and his father was born and raised in Poland. As such, his father spoke, read, and wrote Polish fluently so knowing what I know today, I can't understand why Marlin doesn't pronounce his name properly.

All of my life I've been told to pronounce "Czajkowski" as "Chai-Cow-Ski". This is how I've always done it and how both Marlin and Christine pronounce it. However, as mentioned, just about 3 years ago I met someone on a work assignment from Warsaw, Poland and promptly showed her my driver's license asking to please pronounce my name in the native language. She said, "oh that's easy" and proceeded to say, "Cha-Kou-v-ski" (pretend you are Russian as you read this with a deep, firm voice carrying the "v" sound out). I was so excited and told Marlin and Christine about it and they refuse to change their ways :ha_ha:

I of course informed this to my wife and she immediately understood because in Japanese they pronounce the Russian version of our last name (adopted into their vocabulary thanks to the famous composer) as チャイコフスキー which translates to Chaikofusuki or "Chai-kofu-suki-" (Japanese do not have the letter V, instead use the letter F as a hybrid between our V and H sounds).

Pretty neat stuff.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki