Author Topic: Picture of shifter bushing on shifter  (Read 8761 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Picture of shifter bushing on shifter
« on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:27:36 PM »
Thanks for the detailed response!
We provide a community service and pray we get it right most of the time :gap:

I have a 22RE with the W56C transmission. The mechanics said that the ring wouldn't budge and they were afraid that if they tried too hard that the ring would break or the shifter platform would would crack. [They did know that you're supposed to push down on it.]
Yeah, if you don't press down and rotate it first, then you will shear both shift pins, which on stock bases are not rebuildable (they are rebuildable on our Short Throw bases), and you'd have to replace the shifter base. So good thing they didn't have Hulk Hogan working on your rig.

when you replace a W56C transmision, I assume that you have to remove the shift handle from the base at some point. Is that correct?
10-4. I'd do this for Step #1: Get all the work done from above and provide a nice vent for all my gear oil to drain out quickly.

It might be possible, and someone somewhere has probably done it, but no shop would consider doing this as it would risk messing up the powder coating on the shift handle and generally mess a lot of stuff up (tear shifter boots, damage interior carpet, break those small plastic anchors that your interior shift boot screws down with, et cetera). To drop the transmission, it will need to be separated from the engine block far enough to clear both the flywheel and clutch pressure plate, which extend past the block a good half foot or more. Also to access the top two bellhousing bolts you'll need to lower the rear of the transmission quite a lot (short of having a huge body lift), which would jam the transmission shift handle into the cab. We've seen bases crack from the cab contacting the shift handle in a wreck, so considering the combined leverage of the long handle, it just isn't worth the risk of breaking your own parts.

I missed these so here goes...
I live in Central PA near Lebanon in area code 17042. Do any of you know of a mechanic near me who'd be willing to do this job?
Sorry but I do not.

I'm tempted to take it to the dealership but I don't think they'd install non-Toyota parts
It might be different on the east coast where there isn't much Rock Crawling available, but west of Nebraska and in southern states like Texas and Arkansas you'd be surprised at how many customers of ours are actual Toyota Technicians and have built Rock Crawlers themselves. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with a dealer, especially with simple parts like a seat and/or socket. I guess it doesn't hurt to just ask. They should guarantee the labor but probably not the parts since they are not theirs, and we of course guarantee our parts but we don't guarantee the labor since it's not ours. :cheese: So combined everything would be covered :ha_ha:

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2014, 03:40:42 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki