Author Topic: PLZ HELP! 84 4Runner, nothing works but the headlights...  (Read 3405 times)

oldyotaholic

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Might be the fuseable link by the battery.

Ive swapped the fusible link with a couple spares, one out of my running 84 extended cab.  There is voltage going to a few of the fuses in the fusebox under the hood and a few of the wires that plug into the fusebox have power to them as well. 

I had a problem with my alternator wiring not connecting so the battery wouldn't charge. check the alternator to

I had the alternator tested on and off the vehicle, its putting out 14+ volts and 39 amps so its making power.  I just put a new belt on and checked all of my wires to it, everything is connected. 

you were daily driving this before?

almost sounds like one of your main grounds or power wires is shot for some reason.......

Yes, been dailying it for approx 2 months since I picked it up.  Ive put over 1500 miles on it since.  I pulled up, parked the truck, and turned off the key like normal.  Turn the key on to leave and I got nothing.  Didnt make a pop, sizzle, smoke, or anything else noticeable.  Power didnt kick in then cut out when I turned the key, I never got power on when I turned the key back on. 

Don't assume that because it looks good it is. check the fuses with a meter, or replace them. Get a test light in there. You obviously have power, since you have headlights and you can jump the starter. Since you have no power ANYWHERE else, you need to start at the main fuse.

Ive tested all the fuses with a multi meter, some do have power.  I jumped the starter straight from the batter, mainly to test the battery and make sure it has enough CCA's.