Author Topic: PLZ HELP! 84 4Runner, nothing works but the headlights...  (Read 3452 times)

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
As it says, I have an 84 4Runner SR5.  It has a 22re swapped, based off the ecu numbers looks like it came from either from a 91 or 92 pickup.  I don't think that has anything to do with my problem, but I wanted to make that clear up front.

On lunch break yesterday I drove to get food, parked the truck and turned it off with the key like normal.  15 minutes later I go to get back in the truck and when I turn the key I don't get power to anything but the headlights.  No radio, heater controls, dash lights, turn signals, or anything.  Headlights turn on, but no tail lights or brake lights.  Flashers dont work either, they should work without the key shouldnt they?

Things Ive done so far to diagnose:

-Bypass starter signal, engine cranks over for 10+ seconds.  Battery and starter are both good.
-Replaced ignition switch, still nothing
-Checked all fuses and relays that can be visually checked, nothing seems to be blown.

-Checked all wires to ignition switch with multimeter, no voltage at any terminal.  Should be power coming into the switch somewhere, right?

So my truck is stuck on the side of the road, hoping to get it fixed soon so I dont have to pay for a tow.  Plus we just got snow on the ground, not a good time for my only 4wd vehicle to go out  :mad:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Tyler

Don't assume that because it looks good it is. check the fuses with a meter, or replace them. Get a test light in there. You obviously have power, since you have headlights and you can jump the starter. Since you have no power ANYWHERE else, you need to start at the main fuse.