Author Topic: Tips on buying?  (Read 6949 times)

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 254
  • Male Posts: 486
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on buying?
« on: Aug 10, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »
I saw the ad, and there are some good traits there for sure, but being a searcher on CL and the boards for a decent amount of time now, I would suggest that you continue to shop a bit, and let your offer marinate with the guy.  Having a good amount of cash ready and on hand will always help a lot when you see an excellent deal, too. This one may not be bad, but that interior better look "time capsuled" for a re-painted, re-motored, 300 plus odometered truck for that asking price.   

I have looked patiently with my full cash on hand, and i have seized a couple of smoking deals because the sellers were not completely aware of the public's appetite for some of these older  trucks.  Also, in one case, the seller posted first cash for asking takes it, and I held him to honor his ad, which was only hours old; even though, he had already promised it to the first looker who asked the seller to hold it while he scrounged for the small sum of money that he did not have ready early that morning.  The seller said he felt bad, but he knew what his ad said, and I had cash in hand.  He called the guy and broke the news.  That guy missed a great deal because he had no cash on hand. 

Again, waiting and searching patiently for a deal that you can wholeheartedly say yes to is what I find to be most pleasing.  It kind of stinks to wait, but getting a good one at a good price is fun, too. 

Don't let people tell you any of these trucks are all that rare.  Based upon my desire to own a solid axle factory, U.S. spec. factory Toyota diesel 4x4, I have found and purchased two  of those since 2009. One was a bit rough around the edges, but still ran very well as a DD with everything working right; the other one was cheaper, and it has been a challenge, but she is coming together at last.  My point is that looking hard will get you almost anything you want, and "rare" should be taken with a grain of salt.  Are 22RE 2nd gen. 4Runners rare? Hardly since we've had three since 1992.  For fun, I have wanted to find a cherry, white, two door, 2nd gen. SR5 4Runner with a 22RE.  Not sure how many are out there, but I have to believe its findable, and it would be cool to have a 2 door as a matter of style. :-)

For me, I love white trucks, but I prefer factory paint and factory motors to start with. I have never bought a built truck before-- only stockers. 

As a buyer's tip, I suggest that you look at the fuse box and panels, and confirm that everything is original looking (no new or different fuses) in hopes of ensuring that you are not buying an electrical problem as well. 

Using a magnet to check for past body work is helpful sometimes.  Good luck!

Snowtoy and others really offered some good advice!
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2013, 07:22:41 AM by zembalayan »