Author Topic: ***THE VOLUNTEER***  (Read 2224 times)

robert.levi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since May '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: ***THE VOLUNTEER***
« on: May 13, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »
I don't know where the disconnect is.  There's a '85 SR5 with 189k on the motor on CL Bay Area right now for $11,500.  In any case, the 'bursting of my bubble' is actually somewhat reassuring because it's making me more willing to take the leap of truly transforming it.

Right now, this is my daily driver, which the 22RE is great for since it's getting around 20mpg and still gives me 4x4 ability. As a daily driver I didn't want to get too crazy with the suspension, seeing in particular I don't rock crawl and I'm not looking for maximum articulation. But I use it regularly on fire trails/dirt roads during work. I also hope to start using it toward long range expeditions, beginning in the western US, maybe up to Alaska, and eventually all the way down to the southern tip of South America and then back. That's why I'm pushing this towards an expedition style vehicle and I've been focusing on the OME with 33x10.5's. But to be honest from what I'm finding the OME suspension is great standalone, but when you consider the steering components it seems as though going to a IFS steering box is the best option (which won't work with a 2.5" lift, from what I understand) and if I'm going to start cutting and welding might as well go with a 4" or 5" lift. But as a daily driver and someone who does not wheel recreationally too often I can't sacrifice my road driving ability too much. So this is how I see it:

Option 1 (stock): upgrade to OME soft suspension and larger wheels only. Try to correct everything to bone stock. Plan on selling in one to two years and just buy a beaten up 4runner and then do what I really want (the smartest financially?)

Option 2 (expedition): upgrade to the OME heavy lift, upgrade front and rear armor, drop in 4.88s, V6 IFS premium brakes, maybe some engine mods.

Option 3: get crazy with it and start cutting and welding, starting with a 4-5" lift and following on from there. Only probably with this is that now Im looking at moving the axle forward, changing the driveshaft, etc etc. Down the rabbit hole I go.

So that's what I'm thinking. Opinions (I know this is Marlin CRAWLER, but remember I moving towards expedition driving - I could use some direction on lifts beyond bolt on i.e. All-Pro, Alcan, etc)?