Author Topic: Dual purpose rig (street/trail) or tow rig/trailer?  (Read 2317 times)

Reynolds

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 491
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Dual purpose rig (street/trail) or tow rig/trailer?
« on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:41:22 PM »
Along with your budget, some other things to consider:
What is the type of trails you run the most, i.e start at one end, camp along the way, and exit the other side, or start and leave from the same area.

Is there ample parking and place to turn the trailer around at the trail heads of the trails you run?

When you do hit the trails would you be leaving your rig unattended over night?

Do you do you have the storage space for a trailer queen and tow rig.

Will you tow enough other things to justify the added costs of a rig that wont hardly get used?

Just about all my buddies got bit by the trailer queen bug 5-6 years ago, most of them that have stayed w/the hobby have dumped them and gone back to street-to-trail rigs, and seem to prefer it over the towing a trailer.

Trails I run most are typically start at one end, camp along the way and exit the other side, far away from the trailer. Parking for a trailer wouldn't be too bad, but more costly. Rig unattended over night? I assume you mean tow rig, if so, yes. Obviously a lot less room for a trailer and tow rig and trail truck LOL. I would tow other things but nothing at the moment. I didn't think of half the things you mentioned, that makes me want to build my Taco and not look back :D If I happen to need a heavy load moved, I could call a buddy.

Kevo, I agree fully. If I wanted to go for a day trip to Hollister or somewhere, I would have to trailer it. What a pain in the ass! Signs are pointing towards building the Taco, which is what I was hoping for.

This is the kind of information I was looking for! Thanks guys :D
-Brian