Author Topic: Calling all BIG dog owners. Questions.  (Read 6349 times)

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all BIG dog owners. Questions.
« Reply #30 on: Nov 07, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »
He's coming around, i've been spending alot of time with him... i've gotta remind him to go to the bathroom but he's already running to the door when I tell him to.. then he'll run out and take care of business.

Pictures of Wilson and his daddy Burton

Crazy side story from the other day, so I take him out in the front so we can walk around and the neighbors pitbull mix comes barreling outside without a leash or collar on heading full speed at my dog. Instinct kicks in and I yell at the dog as loud as I can (which made no difference) while holding my dogs leash back as he tried to run away. The dog gets about 1-2 feet from jumping on my dog at full speed and I snatch him by the back of the neck and smash him into the grass holding him in place. He froze and was just locked on to my dog until the neighbor comes out saying sorry and grabs him kinda sitting over him. I let the dog inch forward a little bit but was kinda way to excited.. didn't seem like he was nipping but just all up in my dogs grill which my dog didnt' care for.. so we decided to go inside... walking up to my front door she calls her dog, lets him go and he follows her to the mailbox.. no leash.. nothing... i'm thinking to myself "..hmm..odd..whatever"

Fast forward to the next day, wife, daughter and Wilson are walking across the street to get the mail when some other neighbors come around the corner and tell my wife she should go inside because there's a dog on the loose and it's already killed another dog. At this point my wife see's a sheriff drive by so she heads inside. 30 minutes later the neighbor comes knocking our door explaining that her dogs are loose asking if my wife knew where they where? so she explains that her pitbull mix may have killed another dog. My wife tells her she needs to call the sheriff department which she immediatly leaves home to make the call.

Come to find out, her pitbull mix and lab both got out, lab's still unable to be found and the pitbull mix killed a jack russell puppy that an 8 year old was walking  :o

I was thankful that I was able to react the way I did or else that could have easily been my dog. Odd thing is the people just moved here, military, are very friendly... when I met them for the first time the dogs where in the garage while the door was open.. I walked up they didnt even bark at me just wagged their tale and seemed fine. Apparently that's not the case with other dogs, I also mentioned to the husband that I was getting a dog and wondered how his where around other dogs so I could get them socialized with each other (thank god this never happened)  he mentioned they where good around other dogs...

Moral of the story, makes me more cautious around other peoples dogs even if they seem fine around me because it could be a different story around my dog.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0