Author Topic: Shock Tuning  (Read 8145 times)

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Re: Shock Tuning
« on: Aug 03, 2012, 09:04:24 PM »
I don't want to sound rude, But you're saying a progressive spring dosen't quite work well with the progressive valving of a flutter stack? and that a leaf spring with much slower rebound characteristics then a coil spring works well with lots of rebound dampening? is this for rock crawling only?

Ok so maybe what I said wasen't so clear. A proressive spring like a leaf that is soft in the beginning and stiff in the end doesnt work well with a flutter, which is also soft in the beinging and stiff at the end. Because typically when the spring gets stiffer you dont want to also get stiffer on compression valving. That makes for a harsh ride. Stiffer spring requirer softer compression stacks and vise a versa.

Leaf springs typically have higher rebound rates than a coils not lower. If the typical leaf spring is sprung at 220lbs per inch and at least my typicall coil is 94lbs which is higher.

Softer compression rates of the spring require stiffer compression valving. Stiffer rebound rates require stiffer rebound valving. In the end a spring with high compression rates also has high rebound rates. Ramping up in spring rate "IS NOT" beneficial for high speed racing. You need to keep the spring the same and progessively stiffen the shocks compression rates to handle better.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html