Author Topic: Shock Tuning  (Read 8147 times)

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
Re: Shock Tuning
« on: Jul 31, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »
The All Pro springs that Marlin used to sell were 220lb rate and about 240 or so in the back. With a leaf spring if you go softer you induce additional axle wrap and then you need a torque arm or axle wrap arm to control it. 220 on a leaf is soft but on a coil 220 (for a toyota mini and spring on the axle) is super stiff. Im at about 75lbs in the front of mine and about 80 in the rear.

So if I understand correctly, because leaf springs have a fairly stiff spring rate, A flutter stack is desirable and almost necessary in the sense of keeping the compression valving soft (to go with a stiff spring rate of leaf springs) in the low speed sections for good ride quality on smoother surfaces ans well as on pavement. while still being hard enough on those big hits or unanticipated bumps. does the progressive rate of a leaf spring mean that the compression valving could be slightly more soft or maybe less progressive then a coil spring?

Also, i've read that leaf sprung trucks work well with very minimal rebound dampening because of the interleaf friction. how little is too little.

One more haha. With spring rates that soft on your truck I assume you get some severe body roll, is somehow the shock valveing taking care of it, what about when you are sidehilling when wheeling. say you were at a dead stop on a side hill. dosen't your truck want to tip over? Maybe there is some link suspension black majic going on with the panhard/roll center height. sway bars?

Learning LOTS here. keeps my mind busy.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2012, 09:06:38 PM by SolidAxle »