Author Topic: Hello from San Luis Obispo  (Read 4618 times)

worthingtontw

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from San Luis Obispo
« on: Jul 29, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

welcome from paso robles i would say stick with the solid axle and link the front

With the intended purpose of this truck, I'm hoping anyways that I really won't be in any situations where I can break anything. If I am, considering it will be intended as an expedition vehicle that means I'm in a lot of trouble. Worst case scenario I can't see us going through anything more difficult than some of the passes in death valley which when out with my girlfriend we have seen seemingly stock park service expeditions go through. With that in mind, my main goal with the suspension is to be able to go down wash-boarded roads with a certain level of comfort, which is why I want to go IFS.

Having said all that though, is there something I don't know regarding solid axle setups to make them ride more comfortably? Passenger comfort is one of my goals but not before durability when there's high risk of breaking components.

Welcome from Slo, well most of the time I'm in Slo lol. Seems like a pretty ambitious plan, if you stick to it should turn out pretty sweet. Are you starting with a 2wd or 4wd?

I'm planing on staying 4wd. Basically I'm trying to avoid the need for recovery gear but my girl friend and I are talking about doing trips to Canada in the dead of winter and there's always a good chance of exploring local trails and such, so 4wd as far as I'm concerned is a must. I just don't intend on putting the vehicle through anything where we either can't carry the tools and parts to fix a problem or requires a tow home if we break something.

As far as staying 4wd I'm currently looking at using a similar design to what Total Chaos is building for the gen 2 caddy kit, but with a couple differences. Right now I'm looking for a complete knuckles with hub's, rotors, and calipers, and a 1st gen IFS 4runner diff and until I get those parts I'm kinda stuck on development. Also not really sure if I want to go with a drag link steering setup or rack and pinion. Opinions?

I should also add I plan on this being a very slow build. Right now I've got to many projects I need to wind down first but I'll start a build log probably sometime next week introducing the vehicle as well as what has been done so far.
1980 Toyota Hilux Expedition project (_______) 0% done, just starting out